Tuesday, September 29, 2015

2nd Intro

One of my second grade teachers asked me to do my intro lesson early in her room. She had some sad babies that needed to know me and what my job at their school is! So here is how my 2nd and 3rd grade lessons work:

I start by introducing myself and telling them what my job is. Many of them also did not know what a school counselor does. I use a powerpoint for this one. The kids really enjoy the pictures. I try to make it fun like a game. 


This lesson is also adapted from The Inspired Counselor. The powerpoint has 12 slides with pictures of different parts of my job. This list is based on the list of objects on The Inspired Counselor blog:
  • "Finding Nemo ("just keep swimming") [I used Dory]
  • Dumbo (great listener)
  • puzzle pieces (help put the pieces together)
  • heart (care about all of the students)
  • Frozen characters ("Let it go!")
  • Star (reach for the stars and achieve goals)
  • angry birds (anger management)
  • happy face (help you be happy to be at school)
  • tissue (dry up tears when you're sad)
  • Bandaid (help when you're hurting)
  • Funny glasses (think about things from a different perspective) [I used a mask]
  • eraser (cant change your past mistakes, but I can help you make better decisions next time)
  • lock (I keep your secret, unless the secret will hurt you or someone else)"
On the secrets page, I also include a photo of the poster hanging in my office with the limits to confidentiality. 

Check out my post on my confidentiality poster here!

I also include pictures of my office and discuss with the students how to get to my office.. I tell them they can leave me a note or tell their teacher if they need to see me. I finish by telling them that they are never in trouble when coming to my office. Mine is not the office they go to if they are in trouble! 



I finish this lesson with an activity sheet. I use this to determine not only if the students learned anything, but how effective my lesson was in teaching them about my job. The blank where they can say something they want to talk about can help identify students that need to be seen.

A FREE copy of the powerpoint and my lesson plan is available and can be edited to fit the needs of your lesson. The activity sheet is also available as well as a copy for use with older kiddos. Check out my TPT store to snag these!

No comments:

Post a Comment