Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Simon's Hook

Wow I have been busy since returning to school! Attendance monitoring is a part of my job, and December attendance threw me through a loop this month. I'm finally starting to rise out of the ocean of phone calls and paperwork I do to monitor attendance. While I've been wading through attendance, I have been teaching lessons. This month my lessons are about conflict resolution. For my little ones (K-3), I am focusing on teasing. 


I use two videos based on the book Simon's Hook by Karen Gedig Burnett. The book and the lesson are very good, but the book has some parts that are very busy and can be hard for little ones to grasp. The author helped make these videos, so they are nearly verbatim from the book. You can find the links to the videos at the end of this post.




I start out my lesson by reviewing what we have already talked about this year. Then I explain that we are watching a video based on this book. I always take the book because sometimes technology fails! I tell them they are going to meet Simon, and Simon has a problem: he is being teased at school. We talk about what teasing means to make sure they understand. I then tell him he is going to talk to Grandma Rose and that she will help him solve this problem. Then we watch the first video.
After the first video, I reiterate that when people tease, they want to see someone get upset; they want to see someone get sad or mad and react that way. I tell them to pay close attention as Grandma Rose teaches Simon five ways to handle teasing. Then we watch the second part. After it finishes we review the five strategies. 
To finish our time, I give them each a fish to color, and for the older ones, I ask them to write their favorite strategy in their fish, which one they plan to use next time they get teased.

You can download the fish I use for my lesson for FREE in my TPT store!

Video #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB6BnCYcG-4




No comments:

Post a Comment