Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Decorating an office on a dime (Part 2)

In my last post, I started talking about my tips to decorate an office cheaply. Last time I covered free things. I mean, who doesn't love free stuff?
This post will be all about cheap options for a cute, professional office decor. Free is awesome, but cheap is the next best thing!

Today's tips: 
 1. Yard sales
You can often find some great deals on kid items such as toys and furniture at yard sales. There is a huge yard sale that goes up one of the major highways in my town. The weekend of this just happened to be a week or two after I was hired for my position. I went and was able to find quite a few things for school (and plenty for me too!). I found several small toys for sand trays, stuffed animals, and dolls. I also saw some kid furniture that was very decently priced, but it was either not going to fit in my office or was still a bit out of my price range. 

2.  Image result for dollar tree
This is a GREAT places to get many things for an office for very little money! I got storage containers for sand toys and my calm down tools, frames for the free printables I found on Pinterest, two bags of stones for decoration (these also double as worry stones!, a memo board for my smaller office, and a pool noodle that I cut up to use as a stress ball.
 
In these pictures you can see part of both my offices at both schools. My frames are on the one on the left, and my sand toys and calm down toys are on shelves on my desk.  I also keep my "worry stones" in the black bucket with the colored dots on it.















3. Clearance/bargain sections
I found lots of cool things in bargain and clearance section. Sometimes you find really good deals near the start of school or just after the start of the school year. I got the black bucket I mentioned above on clearance at Walmart. Actually, I got four of them on clearance. I found pinwheel on clearance at Target at the end of summer in the garden center. Target had adorable Dr. Seuss posters in their bargain section when the school stuff was out.  You can sort of see my Dr. Seuss posters on my wall in this photo.
4. Other ideas
  • While I didn't use them, storage ottomans are a great idea. They are $17-18 at Walmart where I live and they are great for an office, especially a small one. The double as seating and storage. 
  • Rugs are also a great way to decorate an office, especially if you have time. Sometimes you can find great deals on rugs. Big Lots may be a place to look for a cheap rug. Car rugs are also great for play therapy. That's yet another thing I was blessed to have donated to me! 
  • I was also given stick on wall decorations. These are cute and super easy, and also not terribly expensive I believe. My sunflower and penguins are my wall stickers. 
  • Fake flowers! I bought some fake flowers at Hobby Lobby that were 50% off to add a little happy color to my office. I think they look great. I put my in jars I had at home already. These can be incredibly inexpensive when bought on sale.

What cheap ideas do you have for decorations on a dime? Where did you find deal? I have one more post in this series, and it's a DIY one! Be on the lookout for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment