Thursday, September 24, 2015

Intro to Intros!

I started my introduction to the counselor lessons this week. They are off to a great start! The bulk of my lessons won't start until October, but I had some kindergarten teachers ask me to come do a tattling lesson. Once offered to all the kindergarten teachers, of course they were all interested in it. So kindergarten is getting intro lessons early!
Image result for rainbow fish

For kindergarten, I use one of my favorite kid's books. The Rainbow Fish!

There are all sorts of lessons you could use this book for, but it also works for an introduction to what I do as a counselor. Adapted from The Inspired Counselor, I begin by telling the kids my name and what my job is. I ask them if any of them know what being a school counselor means. Most do not, especially in kindergarten! Then I tell them that's what we will learn about today!
Read The Rainbow Fish to them. I always stop and talk about how unkind Rainbow Fish is to the little blue fish and how sad he is when he has no friends. I ask the kids what happened in the book when I'm finished. Then I ask who helped the Rainbow Fish. Of course the octopus did! I tell them I am like the octopus. I am a helper at their school. I am here to help them so they can do their best learning while at school. Next I do an activity similar to The Inspired Counselor and have eight random students draw a card out of bag with a picture on it. My pictures are very similar to her worksheet for this age. I try to point out that an octopus has eight legs when I tell them about the objects. I ask the students what they think it means. They do have some great ideas! I make sure I explain what each one means. 

I have them touch their nose so I can tell they are listening to hear two very important things about my job. I tell them they are never in trouble coming to see me and tell them the exclusions to confidentiality (in kindergarten language of course). 
We finish with a coloring page. The Inspired Counselor also has a great worksheet/coloring page for K-1, as well as older grades, in her TPT store. Check it out!
Such a fun lesson for little ones! I love her idea about using objects instead of cards. I may do that next year. The kiddos seem to enjoy the lesson and seem to understand the lesson.
I have a FREE copy of the lesson plan completed on the ASCA template for this lesson in my TPT store. Credit given to The Inspired Counselor and ASCA on the lesson plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment