Monday, October 5, 2015

Upper Grades Intro

My last batch of lessons began today. I started my upper grade intro to the counselor lessons in 4th grade. 
I wanted a game for the older kids, so I decided on Jeopardy! I start off by seeing what they think my job might involve, and then I use a Powerpoint Jeopardy game, which you can get here. This questions for this game are adapted from: https://musiccityschoolcounselor.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/133/


I only use one round of the game and a final Jeopardy round. My categories are: 



  1. Confidentiality with questions about when I keep secrets and what the word means. The daily double is in the category and asks the students to define confidentiality.
  2. Bullies and feelings with questions about how I can help with feelings and what we can do about bullies.
  3. What's my job with questions about who I help, more about how I can help, and how I am different from a principal.
  4. Come see me with questions about where I am, kids that will come see me, and the days I am at their school
  5. Help me with questions about the kind of things kids come see me for, what kind of lessons I teach, and how they can come see me.



These questions aren't worded in a way for the standard Jeopardy answer, "What is ____?" However, it is a fun version of the game and a great way to teach older students about what a school counselor does. The Powerpoint I uploaded to TPT already has all the links, so each slide has link to the main slide with the board. The daily double will link to the question and the question back to the main slide. That way the students can make their wager before seeing the questions. I even put in a Youtube file with the Jeopardy music for Final Jeopardy.
There may be kiddos who have never played, so I would explain the rules just in case. I divide the class in half for teams. I try to give each child a chance to answer a question if they want to. I often actually skip the Final Jeopardy wager for time sake. I do the final question like the others and have them raise their hands. If I had them talk it over and write it down, I would be more likely to do the wager.  I remind them not to yell out because I only call on raised hands. They wouldn't want to give the answer away! If you have buzzers handy, they would be great for this! I keep score on the white board. I pick one student to start with, and then the ones that answer correctly get to pick the next question. For the Daily Double, I let the child who picks it wager, but it is open to either team to answer. That's the change I made least like the actual game.


No comments:

Post a Comment