Friday, November 6, 2015

Anger

Like I always tell my students, we all get sad and mad, but sometimes we need help dealing with our sad and mad feelings. 
Here are a few strategies I use for angry kiddos:

  • I use pinwheels. You have no choice but to breathe deep when blowing a pinwheel. And my pin wheels are like industrial strength! I found these on clearance at Target at the end of the summer. Sometimes I even struggle to blow them! 
  • I use beads and pipe cleaners to make a countdown tool. Counting down from ten, or even up to 10, can help them get a hold of their strong emotions. This is a tangible way for them to count. 











  • I have a pool noodle I cut into small pieces to use as a stress ball, first mentioned here. Such a cheap and easy way to get a stress ball! Sometimes it even sounds like bubble wrap to me!

  • I use the anger management puzzle. This puzzle has nine different strategies for kids to use to calm down when they are angry. The file will also come with instructions and an explanation for each strategy. It might be good the first time to play with the pieces turned over and talk about them one by one as the student flips them over. Or you could discuss them as they assemble it. I like to ask which is their favorite and what makes it their favorite.
Anger Calm Down Strategies Puzzle

These are my go-to favorite anger strategies. What are yours? What do you use with your students?

No comments:

Post a Comment